If you or a family member has been a victim of a laboratory error, you need to reach out to a skilled Rochester medical malpractice attorney who can assess the merits of your case. At DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand that victims of malpractice often feel helpless, but it is important to know that you don’t have to deal with the situation alone. Our team can meticulously analyze the circumstances surrounding your injury and help you pursue the financial support you need to move on with your life.
Virtually every specialty in medicine will send samples to be tested at a laboratory. The results of laboratory tests are vital to make decisions about a patient’s condition and potential course of treatment. In many cases, laboratory tests can significantly affect the outcome of an individual’s life. For example, consider the fact that when a patient has a heart attack or stroke, their blood needs to be tested immediately to figure out how much blood-thinning medication is necessary for the patient to take. Laboratory mistakes can take place in many ways, including but not limited to:
- Ordering the wrong tests;
- Using expired products to screen for cancer or other conditions;
- Mixing up patient samples/swabs or patient information;
- Mislabeling samples;
- Recording the wrong information;
- Wrongly transcribing records;
- Using defective or faulty equipment;
- Failing to communicate test results in a sensible time frame; or
- Failing to order the needed follow up tests.