Hospitals must follow certain protocols to make sure patients do not get hurt in preventable falls. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury due to a fall in a hospital, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit for your harm. At DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers, our Rochester hospital malpractice attorneys have handled numerous medical malpractice cases throughout New York and can handle your claim as well. You can trust that we will work diligently to help you pursue full and fair compensation for the losses you have suffered.
Falls that take place in hospitals are a widespread and serious threat to patient safety. Accidental falls are among the most common incidents reported in hospitals and a complication of about 2 percent of hospital stays. According to one study, rates of falls in the United States range from 3.3 to 11.5 falls per 1,000 patient days. The same study finds that between July 1, 2006 and September 30, 2008, there were a total of 315,817 falls in U.S. hospitals, out of which 82,332 resulted in an injury.
Hospital falls can happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Failure to monitor patients;
- Improper transfer from a gurney or a wheelchair;
- Allowing at-risk patients to walk unsupervised;
- Falls on a wet or slippery floor;
- Malfunctioning bed rails;
- Poor lighting or clutter on the floor causing a trip hazard; and
- Medication errors, leading to dizzy or disoriented patients.